Thursday, August 21, 2014

Auction House Mis-Attribution of David Hall

I don't normally do things like this, but this is bugging me. RR Auctions is having an animation auction that closes tonight. One particular lot is very clearly mis-attributed, the claim is that the lot listed is David Hall, and art by him is very sought after. I've contacted them about it and they agree and said they'd change the listing "...appreciate your email and we have decided to change the lot details to state that it is not a David Hall as you have stated." They haven't. By not changing the listing after they'e been alerted to the error and agreed, they are now actively deceiving their bidders. I don't know how else to proceed, so I thought I'd see if leveraging the social networks might get them to fix the listing before it is too late. It may already be too late.

Update:  The item has been withdrawn.  Go me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blog is amazing, I went through it all today.
Your vintage collection is unbelievable.
Congratulations, I'll be sure to bookmark and come back regularly.

Matt said...

@marillia - thank you so much for your kind words, I'm glad you are enjoying it :-)

Brian Sibley said...

When I went through the Alice art (years ago) for the Methuen edition of AAIW with the Hall illustrations there were a number of non-Hall drawings of this kind wrong attributed, so well done for (hopefully) preventing an unsuspecting purchaser getting something that is very probably Studio art but not by DH.

I have been battling to get an eBay item removed that is a Roy Williams Disneyland sketch of Mickey, signed 'Roy' stopped from being sold as by 'Roy Disney' for $3999.99...