Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Leeds Alice Jumbo Planter

And finally the grand-daddy of them all, something I did not even know existed until 2001, the Alice Jumbo planter.

This was found for me by someone who attended an auction of the remaining Leeds stock almost 10 years ago. It has the remnants of some grease pencil writing on it that I've never removed, I guess I hoped I could figure out what it originally said, but seems pointless now.

This piece is unbelievably rare, it may be unique, I have never seen nor heard of another. And it is huge compared to its more common sisters.

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Interesting, I used to see other Leeds items and thought that they were kind of shoddily painted, but most of these "Alice" examples look quite nice.

Matt said...

Yeah, they definitely improved as the years went by. The early stuff is almost all overglaze and tends to wear off really easily. You see that especially with the shakers and cookies jars, even the Alice Leeds cookie jar (not posted yet) suffers from that.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Great piece. I did not know that Leeds made ceramics that big!