Sunday, November 21, 2010

Zaccagnini Cheshire Cat Clapping Version

Although the past two years have been banner ones for me in the Zaccagnini acquisition domain, lately I just can't seem to win.  Hence, a new Zaccagnini figure from Alice in Wonderland has been spotted, but not acquired by me, 'natch.  Yet another Cheshire Cat.  This figure is quite different from the other two previously posted, it lends credence to a suspicion that I have regarding Zaccagnini figures.

I begin to think there were two different Zaccagnini series, done at different times.  Over the years I've been collecting images of any Zaccagnini figures that I could find, and there definitely seem to be variations in style.  It is especially noticeable in some of the Mickey, Donald, and Pluto figures.
The first two Plutos have all the characteristics of 'first series' figures, while the third Pluto falls into the 'second series' category.  All three are Zaccagnini.  Notice also that there are at least 3 Plutos (there may be more), so it is not odd that there would be multiple different figures of the same character.  Just look at Goebel for examples of that gone to the extreme.
So perhaps this clapping Cheshire Cat figure, which has 'first series' characteristics, is from an earlier series, and the other Cats, which seem to fit the 'second series' characteristics, are from a later period.  Either that, or there were multiple sculptors at work?  Since next to nothing is known about Zaccagnini anyway (at least by me), all of this is pure conjecture on my part.  Perhaps one day someone in Italy will be able to write the definitive text on the subject.
I am convinced that all are indeed Zaccagnini, as all have the distinctive mark on the base and have a similar weight, size and feel.  Also, even though the 'second series' figures are different, they are still extremely well modeled and appear to be very much production quality, so not handmade knockoffs.

UPDATE:  Brian pointed out that our friend is not really clapping, merely preparing to dive off his branch into invisibility upon his first encounter with Alice.  Alice has just asked him where she should go, and that it doesn't matter where, and his reply is "then it doesn't really matter which way you go!"

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

That might be my favorite one... it's a great likeness! The middle one is a bit weird, which isn't a bad thing necessarily. If only they dispensed string.

One of the few Disneyland souvenirs that I still have from when I was a kid is my glazed ceramic Cheshire Cat, and I still love it.

Matt said...

@major - agreed it is the nicest, sure wish I had unlimited funds so I could have won it!

Brian Sibley said...

I love the "clapping cat" (the best of the CC figures) but surely he is not clapping but about to "dive" into invisibility...?

Matt said...

@Brian - indeed you are correct, specifically when CC says "then it really doesn't matter which way you go!"