Monday, June 14, 2010

Disneyland Full Page Ad - June 17th 1958

In honor of Disneyland's Alice in Wonderland attraction's 52nd anniversary, I present to you this full page newspaper ad from June 17th, 1958 (a few days early) featuring the new attractions unveiled, including Alice, the Columbia, and the Grand Canyon diorama.

I like the minimalist art on this, and there are lots of little details around the edge. I especially like the silhouette art at the bottom and of course the Date Nite inset.

3 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

So three attractions at once, and then the next year was the Matterhorn, Subs and Monorail. Too bad they don't open multiple attractions together like that anymore!

Brian Sibley said...

Great to see this ad. Thanks!

I haven't checked, but I think those Date Nite dancers are modeled after some of the 'cats' in the 'All the Cats Join In' sequence in Make Mine Music.

Matt said...

TokyoMagic! - agreed, just one of many things they don't do like they should anymore.

Brian - I'm quite sure you are right, there must thousands of drawings of little swing dancers for them to 'draw' from for material like this.