Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

This is a repost from the first year of the blog, but is one of my favorite things of all time because it combines my birthday and Alice. 
--
The first time I saw this I just about died. This piece of Alice ephemera has me written all over it. You see, my birthday is today, Halloween, and what better gift for me than an obscure piece of vintage Alice paper with a Halloween theme.

What this is, is a newspaper supplement from 1950 (nearly a full year before the film's release) called Pictorial Review, dated October 29th, 1950. Pictorial review is one of several newspaper supplements of the time that appeared in (usually) the Sunday paper. These kind of supplements still exist today, but I don't think this particular one does.

I'd love to find the original art on this...perhaps for my birthday next year.

2 comments:

Hikari-emiru said...

Amazing artwork, Its a riddle why Disney dont reuse more oldschool artwork in the park designs.
I love how evil the Mad Hatters face are here!
Thanks for sharing.


-Emil

Major Pepperidge said...

What a beautiful illustration. Don't you wish you had the original artwork??