Wednesday, June 4, 2008

McCall's Sewing Patterns


In conjunction with a promotion with Indian Head Cottons, McCall's created two sewing patterns for children for the 1951 season. The girls pattern consisting of a dress, pinafore (apron), coverall and jacket. The pattern came in sizes 4-12. Oh, and if anyone has this in size 12, that is the last one I need :-)


For boys (or girls according to the envelope), the pattern was for Mad Hatter or March Hare costumes, and came in two sizes (small, large). I think the March Hare's ears are particularly cool.

The graphics on the pattern envelopes is very nice, very typical of the commercial art of the time. There is a two-page ad that illustrates these patterns that I'll post later, showing these Alice fashions on real kids.

A very special thanks to Hans for discovering where I has misplaced them during the big sort.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Matt, These are very cute. (Good thing I didn't know about the dress patterns when Ray and I got married, my stepdaughters would never have forgiven me!) Anyway, I'm curious - is the sweater/overblouse with the white rabbit design included in the pattern?

Matt said...

Oh yes, everything pictured on the envelope is included. I've sent you a scan of one of the interior pages showing the jacket construction.

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,
the alice pattern is great!!! have you scaned the pattern? can i see! any size, i just want to see the shapes of the dress and apron, its perfect!!!

Matt said...

I haven't scanned the pattern itself, if I can fit it on my scanner I'll see about posting an update with a link to it later.

Unknown said...

Would you know how I could purchase one of the Alice patterns?

Matt said...

These are vintage from 1951, so they are pretty hard to come by. I have exactly 1 duplicate, an Alice size 6. If you are interested, reply with your email address.

Anonymous said...

oohh
i would love to be alice (or the mad hatter) for halloween
i just can't find any good costumes and i can't find patterns that i can buy in a store
i wish they would still sell these

Amy Badskirt said...

Oh! I love that little alice. I do wish I could pick one up, but I'm too late to the game. I'm do a mad scour of the net for scans!

Sabrina said...

Hi Matt, do you believe you could send me a scan of this dress pattern? I would be extremely thankful.

PatternVault said...

Very interesting post! You wouldn't still have that duplicate, would you? Please let me know-- thanks so much.

Matt said...

@madmaudlin - I do indeed still have it, email me for details.

Luellen said...

Hi~I am interested in your Alice sz 6 pattern.I wonder if it still available.Please let me know.Thanks so much.

Toto said...

Hi!

The size 6 pattern is probably already sold as I can guess. But I was wondering if there is any chance to purchase any kind of scan of these patterns or instructions from you? I'm trying to figure out the way to cut out the pieces for an adult costume based on this model and I want it to have a vintage 50's feel to it. Plus looking at the cover art the dress looks a lot like the costume Kathryn wore on the promotional photos for the movie. I wonder if it is the same?