Monday, June 9, 2008

A Trio of Alices

Anyone who collects Alice or even Disney in general is probably aware of the great set of figures produced by the Evan K. Shaw company when the film was released in 1951. Eight figures were produced (Alice, White Rabbit, Mad Hatter, March Hare, Dormouse, Walrus, Tweedledee, Tweedledum), and are arguably the nicest vintage Disney figures ever produced.

And some of you may be aware of the Australian company Modern Ceramic Products, who also produced a set of eight figures, based on the same designs as the Shaw figures, only LARGER.

But did you know that there was a Norwegian company that produced a set also based on the same designs? The name of this company was Galligani, and the figures they produced are extremely odd. First, they are made of plaster. Second, the colors are bizarre. I have only seen the Alice of the set (perhaps the only one?), but have seen other figures from other sets (Snow White dwarfs). I would very much like to hear from anyone who has any additional information on this company and their figures.

6 comments:

Centaurette said...

How great to see all the fantastic--and rare!--"Alice" things so beautifully displayed and described! That Shaw Alice has always been my favorite...so glamorous. Someone ought to try compiling some sort of index (maybe through a 'blog?) to gather info and images on internationally made Disney figurines, since there seem always to be new discoveries, and they are all so intriguing! (Hakes just sold an Italian Zaccagnini Stromboli figure from "Pinocchio" for $10,000+ believe it or not!)

Matt said...

I did see that Hake's result, pretty impressive. I have a Zaccagnini piece in my collection, the King of Hearts, and I didn't pay anywhere NEAR that price (thank goodness).

I have been gathering images of interesting and rare figures, perhaps I will start an additional blog for that purpose...interesting idea.

Thad said...

Matt, I just discovered your blog and it is AWESOME!

I saw on Robert Cowan's site that you have a copy of the Hudson Alice-White Rabbit commercial... Any suggestions on how one can secure a copy or see it online?

Matt said...

I'm trying to figure that out myself...I'm going to transfer what I have (such as it is) to DVD. At that point I'll see if I can put it up on YouTube, and link to it.

Thanks for the kind words on my blog!

Christopher said...

I posted some pics of my MCP collection on my own blog.Ive never been able to find any of the Alice ones,although I know they definitely did the white rabbit,Alice,the Tweedles,and Mad Hatter.

Matt said...

Yup, I have all 5 of the ones you mention. I have not seen the other 3, but supposedly the Disney Archive has a full set of 8.